$300 Welcome Bonus
$1900 Bonus Package
€500 Welcome Bonus
$1000 Bonus Package
10 Warning Signs of Gambling Addiction
With advent of the Internet came online gambling. With the arrival of online gambling comes a new danger - gambling addiction. Once again it is the Internet to the rescue. Here one can find info about dealing with gambling addiction.
- The signs
- Defining the problem
- Nothing new under the sun
- Other resources
Online gamblers are solitary players, alone at home with no one to say "Enough!" or "It's time to quit!" So they continue to chase after yesterday's or last week's losses and in no time they are addicted.
If you suspect that you or someone close to you has a gambling problem check through the following warning signs:
- Increasing preoccupation with gambling.
- Use of gambling as a way to escape problems or relieve depression.
- Inability to stop playing regardless of winning or losing, and despite constant vows to abstain.
- Restlessness or irritability when attempting to cut down or stop gambling.
- Use of alcohol, sleep, or drugs to escape.
- Lying to family members or others to hide the amount of gambling.
- Relying on others for money to solve a financial problem caused by gambling.
- Absenteeism and tardiness at work.
- Losing or jeopardizing an important relationship due to gambling.
- Gambling another day to win back money lost gambling.
More than 80 percent of adults gamble sometime and, for most, it is a harmless form of entertainment. But for a small percentage of the population gambling is a serious problem.
Defining the problem
Problem gambling is defined as gambling that begins to interfere and harm any major area of life including psychological, physical, social or vocational. There are seven main warning signs that a person may have a gambling disorder but an accurate diagnosis can only be made by a trained professional.
Many problem gamblers begin gambling during their youth but gambling addictions, like drug and alcohol addictions, affect people from every race, economic background and sex. A problem gambler will wager on whatever game is available, sometimes even creating bets on ordinary, everyday activities.
Nothing new under the sun
Gambling problems are nothing new. Fyodor Dostoyevsky, the great Russian writer was a pathological gambler but his main claim to fame as a gambler comes from a book he wrote entitled "The Gambler." The story provides a vivid description of his own gambling life and captures the weird and powerful gambling compulsion that Dostoyevsky himself, knew well. All too well.
At the School section, we provide you with a self check quiz. At the Directory, you will find several organizations that provide support problem gamblers. You are welcome to make use of these resources, and male the best of a safe gambling experience online.