PokerStars Launches Regional ChampionshipsPublished October 21, 2010 by OCR Editor
The world has been divided into 13 regions for this exciting new format.
Poker Stars will launch its new regional championships in the coming weeks, allowing players to compete for local bragging right and more than $7 million in cash prizes.
The new format will be spread over 13 separate regions around the world, each with its own 11-tournament series. Poker players will be allowed to chat in their own language during the tournaments, in contrast to the usual policy of using English only.
Russia will be the first region to benefit from the new championships, when its tournament kicks off on Oct 31, open to players from Russia and a dozen neighboring states.
The other 12 regions are:
- UK and Ireland
- German-speaking countries: Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Luxembourg
- Nordic countries:
- Baltic countries: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania
- Iberian countries: Spain, Portugal and Andorra
- Benelux: Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg
- Central and Eastern Europe: From Poland down to the states of the former Yugoslavia.
- Mediterranean countries:Turkey, Greece, Cyprus, Israel, Lebanon and Malta.
- Asia Pacific: Encompassing dozens of countries from the UAE to Australia and New Zealand and up to Japan.
- Latin America.
The RCOOP will run until early 2011.