Skyfall Lives Up to Bond Casino Scenes ReputePublished November 22, 2012 by OCR Editor
Top-grossing flick's spectacular casino scenes do not disappoint!
Casino-themed movies have proven to be a successful formula: Witness Casino, The Cooler, and 21 (about MIT nerds who took Las Vegas for millions). And non-gambling movies with casino scenes have done just as well: Check out Rain Man (blackjack), Ocean's Eleven (poker), Toy Story 3 (roulette). But nowhere are casinos and gambling so integral to a film's mystique than in James Bond films. It was across a casino table in Dr Nowhere Sean Connery first uttered "...the name's Bond, James Bond."Skyfall lives up to legacy
Now, the spectacular box office performance of Skyfall has triggered conversations on whether the movie lives up to the Bond legacy of lavish, action-packed casino scenes. The verdict among Bond fans, film reviewers, and casino aficionados: a resounding yes! The movie's floating casino setting, fireworks, dragons, fight scenes, and superb cinematography provide moviegoers with a visual feast - and puts the 23 rd Bond movie right up there with other James Bond films.What's your favorite James Bond casino scene?
To help you decide, here's a rundown:
- Dr No - James Bond plays baccarat with first Bond girl "Sylvia Trench".
- Thunderball - Bond matches wits and skills with villain "Emilio Largo"over a card game.
- On Her Majesty's Secret Service - 007 rescues "Contessa Teresa di Vicenzo" from a risky roulette move.
- GoldenEye - Bond loses to, but soon beats, a gorgeous Russian agent in a game of baccarat.
- Casino Royale -Bond and Smersh villain Le Chiffre try to beat each other in several Texas Hold 'em games.
- Never Say Never Again - 007 crashes a charity casino event and challenges the villain in a 3D game aptly named "Domination."
The excitement and non-stop action of a casino lends itself well to a secret agent movie. In real life, though, there are just as many thrills in an online casino game. What's more the winnings are real - not make believe!